Carrot Leek Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 medium leek, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat margarine
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute leek in margarine until tender. Add carrots, potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon to a blender or food processor. Add enough cooking liquid to cover; blend until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in milk and pepper; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 89 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat.
Sep 5, 2012
I have been making this recipe for many years. Everyone I serve it to loves it. When I first started making it I did not puree it as I was to lazy to get food processor out-it was in a very difficult place to reach in my old kitchen. We all loved it. Then I bought an immersion blender and pureed it. It was a completely diferent soup!! It is great both ways, chunky or smooth!
Nov 10, 2008
I would saute leeks in chicken broth instead of reduced-fat margarine.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.