- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine eggs, oil, honey and vanilla; beat until smooth. In another bowl, whisk next seven ingredients for 30 seconds. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until combined. Add carrots; mix well.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 9x5-in. loaf pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices)
Reviews forCarrot Honey Loaf
"I’m a Volunteer Field Editor. I tried this because I’ve lots of carrots in the fridge and the contributor is a fellow Maritimer! It turned out wonderful. I subbed in applesauce for 1/2 the oil and it’s nice and moist. I have to disagree with the other 2 reviews below- one states the nutmeg MUST be freshly grated in order for the recipe to be successful, and the other states it’s not a very sweet bread. I used ground nutmeg and it’s still great and also found that it is plenty sweet for our tastes. Don’t let those reviews deter you from trying it out!"
"I thought I'd give this recipe a go. I didn't see the note in the comments to use freshly grated nutmeg but I could taste the nutmeg. I sampled a little piece warm from the oven and it was good. I liked it better cooled with butter. I didn't try toasting it. Everyone that has tried it here seems to like it but it has been noted it isn't an overly sweet bread like banana bread. If you expect sweetness, you may be disappointed with the lack of it. A nice change from the normal quick breads."
"Just a quick note for this loaf to be a great success, FRESHLY GRATED nutmeg is a must! You can also add in 1/8tsp cardamon, 1/4 tsp cloves and 1/2 tsp ginger for a chai flavour."