Carrot Coin Casserole with Cheddar
Linda Phillippi of Ronan, Montana has been making this comforting casserole for three decades. She's enhanced the recipe over the years by adding nutmeg and trying different vegetables.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 slices onion, separated into rings
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- Place carrots and 1-in. of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6 minutes. Add onion; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain. Add peas and toss. In a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the vegetables, all of the cheese and remaining vegetables.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 teaspoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetables.
- In a skillet, toast cracker crumbs in remaining butter. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.