- 12 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 crackers)
- Place carrots and small amount of water in a saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Add onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Drain. Add peas and toss.
- Place 4 cups in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining vegetables. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over the vegetables.
- In a small saucepan or skillet, combine cracker crumbs and remaining butter; cook and stir over medium heat until toasted. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCarrot Coin Casserole
"This is a Perfect holiday side dish, It is loved by everyone even the kids"
"Have made this recipe many times and is always a huge hit."
"Planning to make this for Easter dinner, I was sure I had frozen peas in stock. I didn't. With local markets closed for the holiday, I wound up substituting peas with broccoli. I liked the result so well, I think I'd make it the same way another time."
"Paula Deen has a receipe like this, our family hasn't embrassed it was others have.... but if your kids will eat it..... make it!"