Carrot Cloverleaf Rolls
I first tasted these finger-licking, delicately moist rolls at my friend's house-and wouldn't leave without the recipe!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place carrots in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Place carrots in a blender or food processor; cover and process until pureed. Add egg and 1/4 cup warm water; process until blended.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining water. Add carrot mixture, oil, sugar, molasses, salt and 2-1/2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 45 pieces. Shape each into a ball; place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 181 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Carrot Cloverleaf Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.