- 8 cups sliced carrots
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup seasoned croutons
- Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the soup, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese.
- Drain carrots; add to the onion mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with croutons. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over croutons. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forCarrot Casserole
"The first time I made this was for Mom's 80th birthday party. She loves carrots and she had requested I bring a dish that had cooked carrots. I thought I would have left overs but it was an absolute hit and people that came later didn't get any. It has been requested several times since and it always looks so appetizing. People who are not big fans of cooked carrots enjoy this dish as well."
"This sounds wonderful! Particularly impressed with fact that it's ***friendly for people with Type I Diabetes***, having only 1 carb./serving. Thank you for sharing recipe!! J."
"Made this dish at holiday time - good out of the oven, but as it cools to room temperature, the cheese coagulates and the texture becomes gummy."
"I made this for our Easter family gathering and EVERYONE loved it."
"I have been making this recipe for years. It is a favorite with all of my Grandchildren. They request it when Gram is planning a family dinner party. & Cooked carrots are not normally well appreciated by most of them."
"This recipe was perfect how it was! It was delicious and creamy. I used cream of chicken instead of celery since i didn't have any in the house. My husband LOVED it. Said he didn't even notice the dish not having meat!"
"I changed the recipe a bit instead of using shredded cheddar cheese I used Velveeta cheese 1/2 cup and about 1/4 cup milk. And instead of croutons I used seasoned bread crumbs mixed with melted butter. And I added 4 cloves of mined garlic to the mixture. It came out sooo good! You got the taste of all the flavors(carrots, cheese, garlic,etc.) I served this for a family gathering and it all went!!!!"