VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute green pepper and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in jalapeno if desired, parsley, savory and carrots. Transfer to a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until toasted and browned. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Casserole in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007, p16