- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- In a small bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. In another large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the carrots, zucchini and pineapple. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 cupcakes.
Reviews forCarrot Blueberry Cupcakes
"I have made these lovely little treasures several times. This recipe is the favorite cupcake recipe in my family. Love it with or without the frosting. When I use frosting, I cut the sugar by 50% and I truly believe that it is plenty of sweetness."
"I made this recipe substituting craisins for the blueberries and got rave reviews in the office. I will make them again and try the applesauce substitution and try it with blueberries. I skipped the frosting; I might try a struesel topping. These were moist and flavorful."
"I made these as cupcakes. Fantastic. I am going to make it into a birthday cake for my soon to be 4 year old twin grandsons. They loved the cupcakes and have asked for this for their birthday. Smart boys!"
"This is a great recipe, but if blueberries are expensive, I substitute craisins. I also make it into a cake. Very popular!!"
"I wasn't real sure as I was adding all of these ingredients in the mixing bowl but they turned out great. I made them as muffins and left off the frosting. They were a huge hit with multiple people. Great flavor and good for your too!"
"This has got to be the all-time favorite new recipe for friends and family this summer! I changed it up a bit though. I didn't have crushed pineapple so I used apple sauce instead and it is to die for! It is so moist and yummy with or with out the frosting. We like big cupcakes so we fill closer to 3/4 full and end up with 12. It also means only one round in the oven!"
"I skipped the frosting and everyone loved them!"
"It's really tasty even with less sugar and no frosting."
"Was looking for a new, different muffin recipe to make for my hubby this weekend. I have everything I need to make these - thank you!"