Carrot Bean Salad
"My husband and I spend most summer days working in our gardens, so I like dinner dishes that are healthy and easy," explains Virginia Arendt of Green Bay, Wisconsin. "I created this salad when cilantro was taking over our herb garden."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Place carrots in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil;cover and steam for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Immediately place carrots in a bowl of ice water. In another bowl, combine the garbanzo beans and celery. Drain carrots and add to bean mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, oil, lemon-pepper and salt. Pour over carrot mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, stir in cilantro.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 103 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Cilantro Carrot Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2005