If you’re looking for a simple yet impressive bird, this is it! Moist and flavorful, the golden-brown turkey is sure to thrill your guests. —Carrie Goedken, Iowa City, Iowa
Recommended: Healthy Mardi Gras Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; Combine the butter, garlic and minced sage and rosemary; rub under turkey skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- Loosely stuff turkey with onion, apple, sage leaves and rosemary sprigs. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes; remove and discard onion, apple and herbs before carving. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Carrie's Famous Turkey in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p43