VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Additional chopped onion, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and onion, crumbling meat, until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender, 6-8 minutes; drain. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Add next 11 ingredients.
Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours. Discard garlic clove and bay leaves. Serve on hot cooked spaghetti; if desired, top with shredded cheddar cheese and additional chopped onion.
- Freeze option: Before adding toppings, cool chili. Freeze chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary. Serve as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Carrie's Cincinnati Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2017, p11