- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken base
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split, optional
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker; add vinegar mixture. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Reserve 1 cup cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Shred chicken with two forks. Return meat and reserved cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, serve chicken mixture on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCarolina-Style Vinegar BBQ Chicken
"Can you use this sauce to make pork barbecue? My husband is from NC, and he loves NC BBQ."
"A winner of a chicken dinner! As a Kansas girl, I am not used to a vinegar-based BBQ chicken, but this is absolutely delicious. It's tangy, slightly sweet, and just a little spicy (the heat can be dialed up or down easily). The best part about this recipe is that is a dump-it-and-go recipe. The slow cooker makes it super simple. Bonus (and I say this with all due respect to my KC-style BBQ-loving friends!): this chicken is much less messy than tomato-based BBQ chicken! We will be making this again soon!"
"Instead of 4-5 hours, about 25-30 min in an Instant Pot."
"This is great; that's all there is to it. Being Canadian, I was a little leery of cooking meat in vinegar- I had never heard of it! But I trusted the reviews and went ahead. Next time I will ad more spice, not less like some other reviewers. The cole slaw on top is a must - really a great combination of flavours! Hubby has mentioned that meal every day for a week!"
"I made this recipes last night for supper. I'm from Eastern NC and we do love our vinegar bbq! I deviated using brown sugar and cider vinegar, and boneless skinless chicken thighs. It was a little sweet for my taste, but added a little more vinegar. I might cut back a little on the amount of brown sugar next time. Thanks also to ryan0705 for your hints ~ Also, it was too late to use my crock pot, so I slow cooked in the oven at 275 degrees F for 3 hours, and while I was pulling apart the chicken, I simmered down the liquid."
"easy and a nice change from traditional BBQ"
"This is a NC recipe. But my mother used brown sugar, cidervinegar and smoke flavoring all to taste. You cook the chickenjust until done and remove it then cook the juice etc. downuntil it's kinda like a sauce then add meat back in.. It's reallygood but the same recipe used for pulled pork is alot better.With pork leave the meat in while cooking juice down. Try ityou'll love it. Mom always served slaw and dill pickles on awarmed bun with optional hot sauce. SUPER GOOD!"