- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 hamburger buns, split
- 1-3/4 pounds deli coleslaw
- Cut roast into quarters. Mix brown sugar, salt, paprika and pepper; rub over meat. Place meat and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and seasonings; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork and reserved juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns with coleslaw. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forCarolina-Style Pork Barbecue
"Delicious and easy!"
"Wish we could like it but can't. From Illinois and perhaps that's the problem. Other than the "hotness" the taste is pretty blah."
"While this is a delicious recipe, it in no way or form represents BBQ from NC or SC. This would more accurately be described as pulled pork with a really great sauce. Authentic BBQ MUST be smoked. With that said, I got a fantastic deal on pork loin and needed a recipe that would work with a lean cut of meat and this fit the bill. Overall a very good recipe. Thanks Kathryn!"
"I like spicy..and sweet together. This prep does it all !! And anything left over, if ANY, will be good the next day. This is a great recipe !"
"Simple, fast, delicious!"
"My store had boston butts on sale so I was looking for a new recipe to try. This Carolina style barbecue was what I tried and it was delicious! I cut back on the hot pepper flakes and cayenne since some had said it was too spicy but when I shredded it I went back and added more then heated it for another hour. Served it with 9 day slaw another TOH recipe that was great!"
"Perfectly juicy and tender! I would highly recommend this recipe. The only change I made was to take the recommendation of a previous reviewer and cut back on the red pepper flakes and cayenne (my children and grandma can't tolerate too much heat, though if my husband and I were the only ones eating it, I would go with the full amount called for in the recipe). Two thumbs WAY up!"
"This is the best Carolina barbeque recipe I have come across. Absolutely delicious. Looking forward to making it again."
"Warning...very spicy! You may want to reduce the red pepper flakes and cayenne for those who can't tolerate the heat."
"Very easy to make and so good tasting."