- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 16 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh chives, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or just until shrimp turns pink. Remove from pot.
- In same pot, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Stir in kale and red pepper; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until kale is tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in peas, salt, pepper and shrimp; heat through. If desired, sprinkle servings with chives. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCarolina Shrimp Soup
"I let mine simmer a bit longer to let the kale cook down. Once it was tender, it was a great addition to the soup. I could've eaten the whole pot!"
"Way too much kale 16 cups was too overwhelming."