- 1 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (31-40 per pound)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Place the first five ingredients in a 3-qt. slow cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on high 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until water is absorbed and grits are tender, stirring every 45 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and butter until melted. Stir in remaining ingredients; cook, covered, on high 15-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCarolina Shrimp & Cheddar Grits
"We really loved this! The first time I had shrimp and grits was just a couple of years ago at a restaurant. It was just about the best thing I had ever eaten. Made this recipe today and it is fantastic! Served with the green onions and tabasco at the table made it even better. Thanks for sharing!"
"I have never liked Grits even after living in the south for several years. I saved this only because I love Shrimp, cheese and veg's so I thought why not try again. This was Amazing!! We didn't have time for the slow cooker so my husband grilled the shrimp and the rest on the stove. Thanks for sharing this delicious meal!!"
"After a recent trip to the South, we've been stuck on Creole food. Grits is something we feel in love with. This recipe is just amazing."
"Can I ask about the plate used in the photo? I notice the A-B logo on it. Do you know where the plate originated from?"
"These cheesy grits are creamy and full of flavor! I will definitely make this recipe again!"