Carnitas with Orzo and Peppers in Red Mole Sauce Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1-1/2 to 2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red mole sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) quesadilla or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1. Place pork in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until crisp-tender. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan, combine the orzo, peppers and onion.
- 3. In a small saucepan, whisk the chicken broth, mole sauce, tomato paste and remaining salt. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Pour over orzo and vegetables. Stir in pork; sprinkle with cheese. Cool. Cover; may be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen carnitas: Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is lightly golden. Yield: 5 servings.
Editor's Note: To use immediately, broil as directed. When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended.
1-1/3 cups: 559 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1509mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 37g protein.
Reviews for Carnitas with Orzo and Peppers in Red Mole Sauce
"For a working family....I'd make it over the w/e and serve later in the week. It was quite tasty."
"very good recipe love mexican food. I also live in Beloit W. Thanks for the good food."