Carnitas with Orzo and Peppers in Red Mole Sauce
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1-1/2 to 2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red mole sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup quesadilla or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Place pork in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Remove pork from oven. Increase oven setting to 350°.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until crisp-tender. In a greased 13x9-in. baking pan, combine the orzo, peppers and onion.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the chicken broth, mole sauce, tomato paste and remaining salt. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Pour over orzo and vegetables. Stir in pork; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- FREEZE OPTION: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 559 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1509mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 37g protein.
Apr 4, 2015
For a working family....I'd make it over the w/e and serve later in the week. It was quite tasty.
Mar 9, 2015
very good recipe love mexican food. I also live in Beloit W. Thanks for the good food.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.