- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Dash liquid smoke, optional
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large unpeeled red potatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Whole wheat tortillas or hot cooked brown rice, lime wedges and chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, mix first 13 ingredients and, if desired, liquid smoke. Stir in pork, potatoes and onion. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 7-9 hours.
- Discard bay leaf; skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork slightly with two forks. Serve with remaining ingredients as desired. Yield: 12 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forCarne Guisada
"I was so excited to see a carne guisada recipe I could prepare in a crockpot instead of babysitting it on the stove. Then I read the ingredients. This is in no way carne guisada, at least not the kind you’ll find in Texas like the original poster suggests. While this may taste fine, I was put off by the misleading recipe name."
"With all these spices & ingredients I expected something phenomenal, sadly no. Bland and zero flavor, what a let down"
"This was not as good as I had hoped. First I followed directions to the letter. It was bland and didn't have much spice. Second, I don't cook but heat in the crockpot."
"Made my house smell terrific and tasted even better! Leftovers were good in quesadillas!"
"this looks like a perfect crock pot dish.hearty and heart warming. I would serve it with refried beans and in soft&warm toasted flour tortillas.problem is I'm allergic to beer. can I substitute another fizzy beverage?"
"I come to Taste of Home for simple and down home recipes like this. I halved the recipe and that worked out just fine. I love the taste of potatoes and pork like this. Very tasty. Thanks for sharing."
"My husband and I loved this recipe! It was a little spicy for us on its own, so we made burritos. We stuffed flour tortillas with a generous portion of the shredded pork and potatoes and included a layer of pinto beans, sour cream, and cheddar cheese to reduce the heat."
"This had good flavor. This reminds me of a carnitas recipe that my family actually prefers."
"Made this a few weeks ago and YUM! We loved it. The leftovers were even better! Planning on making again this week for family coming to town."
"Prepared this dish for dinner last night, overall the flavors were good, but you definitely need to add more salt. It turns out bland with the recommended serving. Overall though it was pretty good."