Having grown up in the Virgin Islands, I've eaten my fair share of authentic curried chicken. This recipe hits the mark with big, bold flavors. It's delicious served over rice. —Sharon Gibson, Hendersonville, North Carolina
Recommended: 77 Tropical Recipes for a Taste-cation Anytime
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups Goya Mojo Criollo marinade, well-shaken
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked rice, green onions and fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- Combine curry powder, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle over chicken, pressing to help it adhere. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with onion. Carefully pour Goya Mojo Marinade along the sides of slow cooker, avoiding chicken to keep coating intact. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads 170°, 4-6 hours. Remove chicken; keep warm.
- Pour cooking juices from slow cooker into a measuring cup; skim fat. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in cooking juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat; add chicken and simmer about 5 minutes. If desired, serve with rice, green onions and cilantro leaves. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Caribbean Curried Chicken in Taste of Home November 2017