This lovely ring has a sweet spicy flavor, and the pretty shape makes it a special treat to serve at Christmas dinner with Cardamom Butter. I've been cooking since I was very young, and yeast breads are my favorite things to bake. -Judy Wilson, Vermont, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (2 cups butter)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Sugar or coarse sugar
- CARDAMOM BUTTER:
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 3 eggs, evaporated milk, yeast mixture, sour cream, orange zest, cardamom, salt and 6 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Divide into six portions. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape each portion into a 24-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Form into a ring; pinch ends tightly together. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat milk and remaining egg; brush over wreaths. Sprinkle with almonds and sugar. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cardamom butter ingredients until blended. Serve with bread.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 277 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.