Cardamom Tea Bread
A cross between pound cake and fruitcake, this bread is especially nice for folks who dislike the heaviness of regular fruitcake. My family enjoys thick slices for breakfast on Christmas morning.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mixed candied fruit
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Combine candied fruit and 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar for 1 minute. Add the eggs, milk, orange juice, baking powder, salt, cardamom and remaining flour. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in fruit.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 198 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cardamom Tea Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.