Cardamom Cinnamon Knots
Crushed cardamom seeds and cinnamon season these yummy yeast rolls. My sister and I translated all the pinches and dashes in our mom's instructions to get this recipe. —Vivian Donner, Jackson, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 18 cardamom pods
- 1-1/3 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Remove seeds from cardamom pods; coarsely crush seeds. Add the seeds, milk, butter, shortening, eggs, salt, remaining sugar and 5 cups flour to yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each portion into 18 balls. Roll each into an 8-in. rope; coat with cinnamon. Tie in a knot and tuck ends under. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine icing ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.