"These slightly sweet carrots with a hint of cardamom go over big whenever I serve them. They're particularly nice at holidays," says field editor Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 2-inch julienned strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water, carrots and salt to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, combine the butter, brown sugar, cardamom and orange zest. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Add carrots; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 126 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cardamom Carrots in Taste of Home October/November 2003