Cardamom Braid with Almonds
"This version of Finnish 'pulla' has always been an important part of our family celebrations," shares Doris Lystila of Townsend, Massachusetts. "This recipe is special because it can be made in a bread machine. Cooks who do not deal well with yeast dough will find that this adaptation is just what they've been looking for."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a parchment-lined baking sheet; braid. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sugar and almonds. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 141 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Cardamom Braid in Light & Tasty February/March 2004