If you're a sauerkraut lover, you'll savor this sweet and tangy variation that features stewed tomatoes and bacon. "We enjoy this dish served with ribs, potatoes and corn bread," says Bernice Morris, Marshfield, Missouri.
Recommended: 30 German Beer Garden Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (one 27 ounces, one 8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- In a skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. Add the sauerkraut, tomatoes, brown sugar and caraway seeds. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Caraway Sauerkraut Bake in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p19