Caraway Rye Rolls
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm Daisy 4% cottage cheese (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cottage cheese, sugar, eggs, caraway seeds, salt, baking soda, rye flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Gradually stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a sticky batter (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Stir dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Place in well-greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 117 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 12, 2010
My family loves these rolls. I have also adapted the recipe for my St. Patrick's Day dinner, making three or four balls in each section. I always leave out the caraway seeds and have received many compliments on this recipe whenever I have made them.