Caraway Red Cabbage
"My family just loves this fresh-tasting red cabbage dish," writes Rosemarie Kondrk of Old Bridge, New Jersey. "It's low in fat, sugar and salt—and quick to prepare."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 cups shredded red cabbage
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 4 teaspoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the water, vinegar, caraway seeds, salt and cabbage. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar substitute.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 31 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Caraway Red Cabbage in Taste of Home October/November 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.