Our daughter took these light-as-a-feather rolls to a 4-H event and came home with a Grand Champion ribbon! We think they're especially delectable served straight from the oven.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) warm 4% cottage cheese (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Nellie’s Free Range Egg
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cottage cheese, sugar, butter, caraway seeds, salt, baking soda and 1-1/3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Stir dough down.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan for 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Caraway Puffs in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.