Our daughter took these light-as-a-feather rolls to a 4-H event and came home with a Grand Champion ribbon! We think they're especially delectable served straight from the oven.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 4% cottage cheese (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cottage cheese, sugar, butter, caraway seeds, salt, baking soda and 1-1/3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Stir dough down.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan for 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Caraway Puffs in Best of Country Breads