• Served with colorful carrots and smooth sour cream gravy, Caraway Pot Roast is so tender and flavorful that no one would guess it’s an “economical” main dish. Violet Beard of Marshall, Illinois shared the recipe.
Recommended: Slow Cooker Recipes from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium-high heat; drain. Combine the onions, carrots, cider, caraway seeds, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables; keep warm. Strain pan juices into a 2-cup measuring cup. Skim fat; add enough water to measure 2 cups. Return to Dutch oven. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the sour cream and remaining salt and pepper. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Caraway Pot Roast in Taste of Home February/March 2006, p18
Reviews forCaraway Pot Roast
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2013
"We like this recipe"
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2012
"OMG the best pot roast ever!!"
Reviewed Apr. 7, 2009
" Looks delicious, thanks "