Caraway Cloverleaf Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add whole wheat flour, sugar, oil, caraway, salt and 2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half, then divide each half into 36 pieces. Shape into balls; place three balls each in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 141 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 148mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 4, 2013
Wonderful rolls! My grandson has allergies to dairy and eggs and this recipe contains neither. I baked these for Thanksgiving and everyone loved them. I did change it up a bit though; wasn't sure if the toddlers would like the seeds. I didn't have any whole wheat flour so I used bread flour, omitted the caraway seeds and added 1/2 tsp. dill weed, 1/2 tsp. dried basil, and 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary. I'm sure I'll be baking these again.