Caraway Beef Roast Recipe
- 1 beef rump or chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Cooked potatoes and carrots, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Brown roast on all sides. Drain. Combine water, bouillon, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, onion, salt, pepper and caraway. Pour over roast. Add bay leaves. cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until tender. Remove roast to a warm serving platter.
- 2. Combine flour and water. Stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, adding additional water if necessary. Remove bay leaves. Serve with cooked potatoes and carrots if desired. Yield: about 12 servings.
1 each: 236 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for Caraway Beef Roast
"Nice roast. I was surprised at how condensed the gravy was; I had to add quite a bit of water. Maybe this was because I baked it in a cast iron Dutch oven??"
"My husband says it is the best roast I have cooked. This recipe is definitely a keeper and I have passed it on to family and friends."