Caraway Beef Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 boneless beef rump roast or chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cooked potatoes and carrots, optional
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the hot water and bouillon; add the ketchup, onion, Worcestershire sauce, caraway, salt and pepper. Pour over roast. Add bay leaves.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until tender. Remove roast to serving platter; keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Stir into pan juices; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, adding water to thin if necessary. Discard bay leaves. Serve with cooked potatoes and carrots if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 236 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Nov 29, 2014
Nice roast. I was surprised at how condensed the gravy was; I had to add quite a bit of water. Maybe this was because I baked it in a cast iron Dutch oven??
Jun 16, 2010
My husband says it is the best roast I have cooked. This recipe is definitely a keeper and I have passed it on to family and friends.
Nov 23, 2008
My husband says it's the best roast beef I've ever made. To be honest, I haven't made many, but it was easy and tasty and the gravy was very good. I will definately make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.