Caramelized Pear Strudel
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 large pears, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add pears and cranberries; toss gently to coat. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fruit mixture; cook and stir for 7-8 minutes or until cranberries pop. Stir in dried cranberries, ginger, orange zest and cinnamon. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray; set aside. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; coat with cooking spray. Repeat layers five times. (Keep phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use each sheet.)
- Spread cranberry mixture over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Fold in sides. Roll up, starting at a long side. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 20-23 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 139 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Dec 8, 2014
There is something wrong with this recipe. The filling is far too much for one set of phyllo sheets. Even when spread between two rolls, it leaks out and the pears disappear.
Mar 12, 2011
This is delicious. My family loves it.
Mar 11, 2011
This was too easy - yet very elegant. I used butter flavored spray for richer taste. I sprinkled candied ginger over top before service. Especially good with lowfat Ice Cream
Oct 14, 2010