Caramelized Onions in Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add seasoned salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add onion; cook until slightly softened. Sprinkle with brown sugar; cook until brown sugar is bubbly and onion is tender.
- Drain potatoes; transfer to a large bowl. Add the sour cream, half-and-half, cream cheese, salt, pepper, cayenne and remaining butter; mash until smooth. Stir in the onion mixture.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 313 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 24, 2014
I used 5 large potatoes as I didn't want to end up with thin potatoes like several other reviewers did. I'm so happy I did -the finished potatoes had perfect consistency! I will add more onions next time - I may even double them. Other than those 2 things, I wouldn't change a thing. They are wonderfully delicious! Ended up with about 6 cups mashed potatoes.
Feb 25, 2013
Loved this recipe. Would use a a little more potato next time as they were a little thin but delicious!
Mar 31, 2010
I was very surprised to read the recipe and find out we were basically making caramel and not caramelizing the onions by cooking them low and slow. But I really liked the recipe just the same. It was on the sweet side but a wonderful departure from basic mashed potatoes. I might even add more onion next time!
Mar 9, 2010
I couldn't hardly imgine patatoes with brown sugar. So for that reason I had to try it. My husband really liked it. Just make sure that you cook enough potatoes or it may be too sweet. I was pleasantly surprised.
Mar 9, 2010
I made these last night and they were so good! I used 2% milk instead of half & half and I only had whipped chive cream cheese so I used that. One of the best potatoes I have had without needing gravy.
Mar 7, 2010
Caramelized onions in mashed potatoes turns out to be one of the best mashed potato recipes I've ever tried. My family loves this recipe and it's a keeper, for sure.
Oct 25, 2009
I have made these several times and they're always great. Have begun adding creamy horseradish and Dijon mustard to the final steps.