- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onions and sugar. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the onions are golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese.
- Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Brush to distribute evenly. Repeat with a second sheet; brush with butter. Cut into 12 squares. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying.) Repeat three times, making 48 squares.
- Press one square into a greased miniature muffin cup. Top with another square of phyllo, placing corners off center. Spoon about 1 tablespoon onion mixture into cup. Repeat with remaining phyllo squares and onion mixture. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forCaramelized Onion Tartlets
"I made these for the first time last weekend and will definitley make again. I did not enjoy working with the Phyllo Dough so I am going to try them with Won Ton Wrappers which will also add a little more crunch!"
"These are super-tasty, and always a huge hit at any event."