Caramelized Onion ‘n’ Pear Pizza
Get your knife and fork ready for this one! Our Test Kitchen uses delectable layers to create a mouthwatering, eye-appealing main course that eats like a meal. This savory “pie” with pears and two kinds of cheese will get rave reviews!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
- 2 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 cups ready-to-serve salad greens
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/3 cup blue cheese salad dressing
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add sugar; cook and stir over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until onions are caramelized.
- Place crust on an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan; spread with onion to within 1 in. of edges. Layer with pears and cheeses. Bake at 450° for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with greens and tomato. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 348 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Pear and Three Cheese Pizza in Simple & Delicious May/June 2007