Caramelized Onion & Garlic Smashed Potatoes
This potato recipe provides an interesting take on typical mashed potatoes. The easy-to-make side is rich with bold flavors from onion, garlic and bacon—perfect for Thanksgiving or any other important family meal.—Crystal Holsinger, Surprise, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cubed (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in garlic halves, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, then shake potatoes over low heat 1 minute to dry.
- Mash potatoes slightly, gradually adding milk and remaining butter. Stir in onion mixture. Top with bacon and chives.
Originally published as Carmakized Onion and Garlic Smashed Potatoes in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014