Caramelized Onion & Date Flatbread
Here’s a deliciously different appetizer for a holiday party. I top a prebaked pizza crust with caramelized onions, two kinds of cheese, orange chunks, dates and seasoning.—Mary Tamaki, Calgary, Alberta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 prebaked 12-inch thin pizza crust
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, sectioned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Preheat broiler. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 20-25 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Place crust on an ungreased baking sheet; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 3. Top with Italian seasoning, onion, orange and dates. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through.
1 slice: 200 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC