Caramelized Onion & Date Flatbread
Here’s a deliciously different appetizer for a holiday party. I top a prebaked pizza crust with caramelized onions, two kinds of cheese, orange chunks, dates and seasoning.—Mary Tamaki, Calgary, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Broil: 5 min.
Makes1 flatbread (8 slices)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 prebaked 12-inch thin pizza crust
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, sectioned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat broiler. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 20-25 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Place crust on an ungreased baking sheet; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with Italian seasoning, onion, orange and dates. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through.
Originally published as Date Citrus Flatbreads in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.