Caramelized Onion & Cheese Pastries
I came up with this as an appetizer for my Christmas dinner, but now I serve it year round. I love French onion soup, and the caramelized onions, herbs and Swiss cheese make this taste like French onion soup in crisp, flaky crust. Don't worry about little tears as you work with the phyllo because after it's folded the tears and uneven edges disappear.—Elizabeth Brough, Eighty Four, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 32 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the paprika, salt, thyme and pepper. Remove from the heat; cool. Stir in Swiss cheese.
- Lightly brush one sheet of phyllo dough with some of the melted butter; place another sheet of phyllo on top and brush with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Cut the two layered sheets into three 14x3-in. strips. Place 1 teaspoon of onion mixture on lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip. Brush end of dough with butter and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and brush top with melted butter. Repeat with remaining strips of dough and with remaining sheets of phyllo and onion mixture.
- Place triangles on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 64 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Flaky Caramelized Onion Cheese Pastries in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.