This is a wonderful for brunch or for supper, paired with a green salad. The combination of broccoli, sweet onions and feta cheese is truly delicious. -Kim Pettipas of Oromocto, New Brunswick
Recommended: 75 Incredibly Easy 5-Ingredient Christmas Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups sliced sweet onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated breadsticks
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the onions, sugar and salt in oil over low heat for 40 min or until onions are softened and liquid has evaporated. Turn heat to medium-low; add hash browns. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make crust, unroll breadstick dough onto a lightly floured surface and separate into strips. Pinch several bread-sticks together, end to end, forming a rope. Holding one end of rope, loosely coil dough to form a circle. Add remaining breadsticks to coil, one at a time, pinching ends together. Tuck end under; pinch to seal. Cover and let rest for 10 min. Roll into a 10-1/2-in. to 11-in. circle. Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Spoon onion mixture into crust. Top with broccoli and cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk; pour over cheese (pie plate will be full). Bake 350° for 40 minutes. Cover edges with foil. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Onion Broccoli Quiche in Light & Tasty June/July 2004, p39