Caramelized Onion Broccoli Quiche
This is a wonderful for brunch or for supper, paired with a green salad. The combination of broccoli, sweet onions and feta cheese is truly delicious. -Kim Pettipas of Oromocto, New Brunswick
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + rising Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 3 cups sliced sweet onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated breadsticks
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the onions, sugar and salt in oil over low heat for 40 minutes or until onions are softened and liquid has evaporated. Reduce heat to medium-low; add hash browns. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make crust, unroll breadstick dough onto a lightly floured surface and separate into strips. Pinch several breadsticks together, end to end, forming a rope. Holding one end of rope, loosely coil dough to form a circle. Add remaining breadsticks to coil, one at a time, pinching ends together. Tuck end under; pinch to seal. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll into a 10-1/2-11-in. circle. Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Spoon onion mixture into crust. Top with broccoli and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites and milk; pour over cheese (pie plate will be full). Bake 350° for 40 minutes. Cover edges with foil. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Pillsbury refrigerated breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 365 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 928mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Caramelized Onion Broccoli Quiche in Light & Tasty June/July 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.