Caramelized Onion Broccoli Quiche
This is a wonderful for brunch or for supper, paired with a green salad. The combination of broccoli, sweet onions and feta cheese is truly delicious. -Kim Pettipas of Oromocto, New Brunswick
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + rising Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 3 cups sliced sweet onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated breadsticks
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the onions, sugar and salt in oil over low heat for 40 minutes or until onions are softened and liquid has evaporated. Reduce heat to medium-low; add hash browns. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make crust, unroll breadstick dough onto a lightly floured surface and separate into strips. Pinch several breadsticks together, end to end, forming a rope. Holding one end of rope, loosely coil dough to form a circle. Add remaining breadsticks to coil, one at a time, pinching ends together. Tuck end under; pinch to seal. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll into a 10-1/2-11-in. circle. Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Spoon onion mixture into crust. Top with broccoli and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites and milk; pour over cheese (pie plate will be full). Bake 350° for 40 minutes. Cover edges with foil. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Pillsbury refrigerated breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 365 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 928mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.