Caramelized Onion Breadsticks
I'm a sixth grade special education teacher with little time on my hands. These easy-to-make breadsticks go well with my hearty vegetable beef soup.—Jennifer Bermingham, Shillington, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook onion in 4 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar; cook over low heat for 30-40 minutes longer or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll bread dough into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Spoon onion mixture lengthwise over half of the dough; fold plain half of dough over onion mixture. Cut into eighteen 1-in. strips. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Melt the remaining butter; brush over breadsticks. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 108 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.