Caramelized Onion, Bacon and Kale Strata
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk or half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups cubed Italian bread
- 1 cup fresh baby kale or spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- 2. Add onions to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat 2-4 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 20-30 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, melted butter, mustard, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in bread, kale, cheeses, caramelized onions and bacon. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or overnight.
- 4. Preheat oven to 325°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
1 piece: 391 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 167mg cholesterol, 886mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Mar 29, 2018
lovely recipe, I do not have goranzola-but cheddar is a great sub
Dec 31, 2016
Made this Strata for Christmas brunch. What a Hit! I never make the same breakfast each year but the company said this is a keeper and they expect it again.
Oct 30, 2016
Oh, this is good! Nice and hearty on a cold evening. We used the cream instead of the 2% milk. I was skeptical about the gorgonzola cheese, but it tasted great. Other cheeses with deep flavor can be substituted and it is still very satisfying.
May 7, 2016
My husband and I made this with homemade bread for our mother's day brunch this year and it was a hit! We did use kale. We also used feta cheese and mozzarella cheese instead of the suggested cheeses since that is what we had on hand. This recipe had a ton of depth and flavor.