- 1 package (12 ounces) Hawaiian sweet rolls, split
- 1/2 cup horseradish sauce
- 12 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Spread roll bottoms with horseradish sauce. Layer with ham and cheese; replace tops. Arrange in a single layer in a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over rolls. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forCaramelized Ham & Swiss Buns
"Not a fan of horseradish sauce or swiss cheese. Pepper Jack cheese gave it the right kick for us."
"My family can't get enough of these! Every time I have made them so far, I've left out the horseradish. These are yummy!"
"The first time I made it my husband fell in love with it. We had it for lunch and then again for dinner. He said I could make it any time which is great as he is fussy. The only things I did different is I forgot to get the Swiss cheese so used mozzarella and I didn't have any poppy seeds. It is a keeper!"
"Help! I made too many....CAN I FREEZE THESE BEFORE I bake THEM?"
"Love it just the way it is. My family is very happy when I tell them these are on the menu."
"This is a big hit at work and at my football tailgates. I substitute real ham or ham loaves (sliced thick) in place of the deli ham, and I use horseradish from the jar with regular mustard to spread on the bottom half of the buns.This has to be prepared the day before you serve it, but it's DEFINITELY worth the effort! :-)"
"I made these for the Food Bank volunteers and they loved them."
"This was good, but would have been better without the horse radish. I would try mayo next time."
"Made this for the superbowl party. While the flavor is delicious, they were sort of messy to eat. They were't a huge hit, but they were tasty."
"This is an easy and delicious recipe. I did not have Hawaiian buns, so I used regular slider buns. I don't like spicy, so I used Honey Mustard instead of the horseradish sauce."