- 1 package (12 ounces) Hawaiian sweet rolls, split
- 1/2 cup horseradish sauce
- 12 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Spread roll bottoms with horseradish sauce. Layer with ham and cheese; replace tops. Arrange in a single layer in a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over rolls. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forCaramelized Ham & Swiss Buns
"Love it just the way it is. My family is very happy when I tell them these are on the menu."
"This is a big hit at work and at my football tailgates. I substitute real ham or ham loaves (sliced thick) in place of the deli ham, and I use horseradish from the jar with regular mustard to spread on the bottom half of the buns.This has to be prepared the day before you serve it, but it's DEFINITELY worth the effort! :-)"
"I made these for the Food Bank volunteers and they loved them."
"This was good, but would have been better without the horse radish. I would try mayo next time."
"Made this for the superbowl party. While the flavor is delicious, they were sort of messy to eat. They were't a huge hit, but they were tasty."
"This is an easy and delicious recipe. I did not have Hawaiian buns, so I used regular slider buns. I don't like spicy, so I used Honey Mustard instead of the horseradish sauce."
"Every time I try a new recipe I make it exactly as shown. The next time I tweak. With this recipe there is nothing to tweak! It is delicious as is. I made it as a snack at Christmas and everyone loved it! I ate 3 as a snack! Love finding recipes I can keep forever."
"Been making these for YEARS !!! WE have always known them as OVEN SAMMIES !!! Family loves them and nice to have on hand when someone heads out the door so they can grab 1 or 2 ! Hubby likes when I make these and he is doing yard work or other chores comes in for a break and has a couple !"
"These were ok. Couldn't really taste the main ingredients with all the highly flavored condiments and for some reason mine came out very soggy...ick."