Grapefruit segments are treated to a slight caramelization in a hot skillet just before topping this colorful salad. It’s finished with a light honey mustard dressing, bacon and avocado. —Maria Davis, Flower Mound, Texas
Featured In: 20 Recipes to Make with Fresh Citrus
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- 3/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat honey mustard salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook and stir pecans and 2 tablespoons sugar for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- Coat grapefruit segments with remaining sugar. Coat the same skillet with cooking spray; cook grapefruit over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, cucumber, onions, avocado and bacon. Drizzle with salad dressing and toss to coat.
- Divide salad among four serving plates. Top with grapefruit and pecans; sprinkle with pepper. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Grapefruit Salad in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011, p35
Reviews forCaramelized Grapefruit Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2017
"The grapefruit doesn't add much. It tastes better without the grapefruit."
Reviewed Aug. 13, 2011
"This salad is wonderful for a change and adds a lot of texture and flavor."