Caramelized French Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon white wine or water
- Coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 2 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Sprinkle with sugar and Worcestershire sauce; cook and stir for 13-15 minutes or until onion is caramelized.
- Add the broth, wine or water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat until toasted. Turn; sprinkle with cheeses. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Ladle soup into bowls; top with toast.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 272 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 960mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 21, 2018
recipe makes only one serving???
Feb 17, 2013
I really liked this recipe. I did add some dried thyme and tablespoon of Marsala wine. Very tasty!
Feb 26, 2012
Easy and delicious! Hubby really liked it! However, it makes very small servings so I will double the recipe next time as we often use soup as our main meal for supper. It's a keeper!!
Jan 30, 2012
This recipe is really good and quick and easy too! I added a bay leaf, a clove of garlic and a dash of nutmeg to give it even richer flavor.
Oct 30, 2011
This is a perfect recipe were there are no left overs!! We used gruyere cheese instead of parm or swiss.
Jan 13, 2011
This has nice balance of sweet and hearty--good for a luncheon with a large salad
Mar 4, 2010
I tried many french onion soup recipes,and finally tried this one. My husband absolutely loves this recipe. its one of our favorites!