Caramel-Walnut Star Cookies
These cookies will shine brightly on any dessert tray. In fact, the first time I sample these crisp, buttery stars was at a potluck, and I spent the evening tracking down the person who brought them. I did succeed in obtaining the recipe, and have made them every Christmas since then.—Sandy Topalof, North Royalton, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 24 walnut halves
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and vanilla, then walnuts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. star-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a walnut half in the center of each. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Spread bottoms of cookies with melted chocolate. Place chocolate side up on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until set.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, bring brown sugar and butter to a boil. Cook and stir 30 seconds. Remove from the heat; cool 5 minutes. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar. Immediately drizzle over top of cookies. Let stand until set.
To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Iced cookies can be stored for 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature or frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 149 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Sandy's Special Party Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011