Caramel Sweet Potato Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping, warmed
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup apple butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Whipped cream and additional caramel ice cream topping
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Sprinkle with walnuts and drizzle with ice cream topping. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sweet potato, apple butter, brown sugar, milk, vanilla, salt and spices until blended. Pour into pastry.
- Bake at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
- Garnish with whipped cream and additional ice cream topping. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 421 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Dec 3, 2014
Excellent pie! Used pecans instead of walnuts, and it came out delicious!
Nov 11, 2011
Great texture and flavor!!
Nov 3, 2011
I made this pie last night and it is EXCELLENT! Light and fluffy and the spices are just right! Unusual twist with the caramel and walnuts on the bottom. I would increase the walnuts to 3/4 cup.
Feb 23, 2011
Pie was good. The taste is similar to pumpkin.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.