Caramel Sweet Potato Apple Bake
"A caramel-like sauce made with apricot nectar sets this casserole apart from ordinary sweet potato dishes," writes Gail Glende of Woodland, California. "It's great for the holidays or anytime," she assures.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 cups cooked sweet potato wedges
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Arrange sweet potatoes and apple slices in a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in the apricot nectar, water and orange zest until blended; add butter. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pecans if desired. Pour over sweet potato mixture. Cover and bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until apples are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 205 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Apple Bake in Quick Cooking November/December 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.